Friday, July 13, 2012


Chelsea and England defender John Terry has been cleared of racially abusing fellow footballer
Anton Ferdinand.

Terry was charged after he was seen mouthing the words 'f****** black c***' in Ferdinand's direction during Chelsea's defeat against QPR at Loftus Road on October 23 last year.

Terry had denied making the comments to the Queens Park Rangers player during a match at Loftus Road last October.

The 31-year-old told Westminster Magistrates' Court he was merely repeating what he thought
Anton Ferdinand had said to him as they traded insults.

Chief Magistrate Howard Riddle said he had heard a great deal of evidence to show
Terry was not a racist.
Giving his verdict, Mr. Riddle said the case was not about 'whether Mr Terry is a racist in the broadest sense of the word'

He said he had heard a great deal of evidence to show that he is not. 'It is understandable why Mr Terry wants to make this point, his reputation is at stake,' he said.

Mr Riddle said Mr Ferdinand was brave to give evidence, calling him a "believable witness".
He explained that it was not for him to decide whether Mr Terry was a racist, and that his only role was to ascertain whether the offence was carried out.

A statement from the Crown Prosecution Service read: 'The very serious allegation at the heart of this case was one of racial abuse. It was our view that this was not "banter" on the football pitch and that the allegation should be judged by a court.

'The Chief Magistrate agreed that Mr Terry had a case to answer, but having heard all of the evidence he acquitted Mr Terry of a racially aggravated offence. That is justice being done and we respect the Chief Magistrate’s decision.'

Arriving at Westminster Magistrates Court, Terry received shouts of encouragement as well as boos from members of the public gathered outside.

He entered the dock at just before 2pm wearing a grey suit with a grey tie. Family members of both Terry and Ferdinand were in a packed gallery to hear the verdict delivered.

Speaking outside the court, Chelsea chairman Bruce Buck - who has been in court every day - said: 'We're pleased John can put his mind back to football.'

Terrys left the court expressionless and did not make any comment before being taken away in a waiting car.
He is now expected to fly away on holiday with his family before returning for pre-season training with Chelsea ahead of the new Barclays Premier League 

You can click here for the the full details of the ruling report.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...