Friday, August 10, 2012

JUVENTUS COACH ANTONIO CONTE BANNED FOR TEN MONTHS FOR MATCH FIXING

Juventus coach Antonio Conte has been banned for 10 months after an investigation into match-fixing. 


Last year Conte, 43, led the club to the Serie A title in his first season in charge without losing a single game.

He was accused of failing to report alleged match-fixing involving former club Siena in the 2010-11 season. 

Conte, whose assistant coach Angelo Alessio was also banned, is set to appeal the decision and Juventus said both retained their full support.

Charges against Conte of direct involvement in match-fixing were dismissed last month, but the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) said it was satisfied Conte was aware it was taking place during his time with Siena. 


Conte had a plea bargain deal rejected by the FIGC earlier this month. He put forward a proposal which would have seen him serve a three-month suspension and pay a fine of 200,000 euros.

The federation has now confirmed the 10-month sanction. 

Police had previously said Conte was being investigated on suspicion of sporting fraud and fraudulent association over allegations concerning a match between his Serie B side Siena and Novara in April 2011.

In addition to the ban for Alessio, who was Conte's assistant at Siena, former Lecce president Giovanni Semeraro and ex-Grosseto president Piero Camilli are also facing suspensions.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...