Monday, January 14, 2013

ARSENAL ABANDONS DAVID VILLA CHASE


English premiership side, Arsenal have abandoned their pursuit of Barcelona striker David Villa

Arsene Wenger had made a formal approach for Spain’s all-time leading goalscorer but has reluctantly accepted that he will not be able to sign him this month.

Wenger made a formal approach for Spain's record scorer but has been told the Liga leaders will not sell and is set to turn his attention to capturing Adrian Lopez

Arsenal have made bolstering their strikeforce a top priority in the window and are now expected to centre their attention firmly on capturing Atletico Madrid’s Adrian Lopez, who they have targeted for a number of weeks

It is understood that a delegation from the London club had been set to fly out to Spain last week to hold talks with Barcelona over Villa.

However, the runaway Spanish league leaders made it clear in private discussions that the 31-year-old is not available either for a loan or permanent transfer this month even though the player had personally told Wenger he was keen to move to Emirates Stadium.

Villa has grown frustrated with his lack of opportunities at Camp Nou but Barcelona are playing hardball and are not willing to offload such a valuable asset ahead of a twin assault on the Champions League and La Liga titles.



Wenger could make another move for Villa in the summer, when the player will have only a year remaining on his Barca contract.

Arsenal are expected to set their sights once again on Adrian after tabling an opening offer of around £10 million

Wenger wants to sign a mobile, orthodox centre-forward this month who can play anywhere across his forward line and dovetail with his current first-choice spearheads Theo Walcott and Olivier Giroud.

It is understood that a fee of £12m could be enough to push through the Adrian deal, which is lower than the £14.7m release clause in the forward's contract.

Courtesy of Goal.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...