Wednesday, January 23, 2013


Settling the nerves: Siyabonga Sangweni (2nd left) is congratulated after scoring for South Africa
Host South Africa scored in each half to beat Angola 2-0 at the African Cup of Nations on Wednesday, giving the host nation huge relief and reviving Bafana Bafana's chances of making the quarterfinals.

Defender Siyabonga Sangweni netted with a volley from a tight angle in the 30th minute to ease the crushing pressure on coach Gordon Igesund and his team.

Substitute Lehlohonolo Majoro then sneaked a shot through Angola goalkeeper Lama's legs in the 62nd minute for a vital cushion in the Group A game at Moses Mabhida Stadium.

Apart from a third-minute scare, when Angola's Mateus Da Costa flashed an early shot at Itumeleng Khune's goal, South Africa had the majority of the play in Durban to move top of Group A ahead of Morocco's game against Cape Verde later on Wednesday.

Sangweni's sweet volley after a loose defensive header and Majoro's skillful second also allowed South Africa to rid itself of Sunday's awful performance in the tournament opener. 

Just four days ago, South Africa's lack of attacking intent in its dreadfully limp 0-0 draw with tournament debutant Cape Verde had put the team and Igesund under suffocating pressure ahead of their second game - when Bafana Bafana realistically had to win to stay on course for the quarter-finals.

Home fans groaned at the sellout 56,000-seat Moses Mabhida when Da Costa forced Khune to scramble to his right to get a slight deflection on a teasing low shot early on.
But after that, South Africa impressed its authority on a disappointing Angola team for much of the remaining 87 minutes. 

In the second half, Majoro picked up possession out on the left and jinked his way to the byline, and then back infield to deceive defenders and Lama for the second, allowing South African fans to wildly celebrate what had initially threatened to be a painful affair.

Igesund made five changes to the team that was struck badly by stage fright on the opening night, starting with a new striker partnership and two new central midfielders in Durban, including Oldham's Dean Furman.

Recalled centre forward Katlego Mphela troubled Angola's defence, allowing Thuso Phala and new striker Tokelo Rantie space to threaten, and Phala's ninth-minute free kick had the Angolan defence scrambling before Sangweni's strike.

Phala threatened again in the 32nd minute and Bernard Parker shot strongly at Lama just before halftime.

Angola's best chance came when Da Costa pulled a cross back for Guilherme Afonso in the 52nd minute but the powerful low shot went straight at Khune.

Khune flapped at two in-swinging corners in the last 15 minutes and Angola captain Manucho's late header wasn't strong enough to beat the Bafana goalkeeper.

South Africa could have added a third in a hugely different and far more positive display when Majoro attempted a lob from the edge of the penalty area with a minute to go and it drifted just over the crossbar.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...